Tools icons are HUGE

The icons in the Create tools palette are absolutely enormous. Seriously, these could (and I think really should) be literally half the size, use less padding, and don’t need always-on labels – tooltips are fine. At the moment they take up a significant percentage of my working space and still show a little under half of the total. With basic adjustments they’d take less space and can show all of the icons, while still feeling less crowded than the current LiveCode Classic tools palette design.

1 Like

Agreed. Everything is way too large. I wouldn’t be surprised if development are using 5K resolution (or higher) screens. With so many 1920x1080 displays out there it would be better to use small icons and give users the option to choose larger ones, or even have LCC detect the resolution initially on first launch and set the icons accordingly if no preference has been specified by the user.

You can change the size of the icons and have options with and without labels from the settings panel. With this you can achieve almost exactly what you have mocked up in your screenshots.

When I make those changes to the settings panel those changes do not stick. At the next start of Create native it reverts to the old settings.

I hadn’t seen that, thank you! I really should have looked. #redface

Unfortunately the ‘small’ size is still pretty big. Really, I’d consider that a large. And of course these changes don’t stick across launches. This bit I’m sure is due to being a DP version and missing features…
But the icon sizes is a design decision. It’s one that feels extreme – way out of my comfort zone.

Thanks for reporting this @Bernd ! I have filed it as an issue and we will update you here once it is fixed!

1 Like

Thanks @adamLC, it will definitely help to have those settings persist across launches!

Regarding the icon sizes, if there was an ‘extra small’ option added that would be absolutely marvellous. The same goes for tooltips so I don’t need to show labels for everything just to remind myself of what a rarely-used item is called.

Tooltips are planned and should be implemented shortly. Not just on tools palette but around the IDE. Re extra small, we plan to look at our customisation options across all parts of the IDE. We will take a look at this one.

1 Like

This issue should now be fixed in 1.0 DP-4!

Update Create Native or go to https://preview.livecode.com to use the latest update.

We appreciate your ongoing support in improving our product :blue_heart:

1 Like