Tab Panel vs Tabs

I am trying to recreate something I use a “Tab Panel” in Livecode 9.6.10 for using the “Tabs” widget in Create. In LC, I use teh Tab Panel to hide or show multiple groups of controls. I place all the groups within the Tab Panel area and script the buttons to show or hide depending on what tab is clicked.

In Create, I can do the same, have multiple groups below the Tabs widget (since teh widget is just the buttons and not the panel area as in LC 9.6.10.

Both work, but they are different. Personally, I find the Tab Panel in LC 9.6.10 more intuitive and easier to use. As Create is for no and low coders, I am wonder how others testing Create perceive the difference? Do you like the Tabs widget or the Tab Panel button better?

I can see an advantage of the Tab widget. With no area below the buttons/tabls, it can be user for a wider variety of purposes?

@Researchware I agree with pretty much everything you have said here. The expectation is for each tab to have it’s own content area and this widget is not currently providing that. The work required for a new no-code user to achieve that with this widget would be to much of an unnecessary friction point.

As you say, with it not limiting you to that it does open up more opportunities for this widget. But I think those other opportunities are likely to be navigation based and probably should be addressed by a separate widget.

It’s all really useful feedback, we will give this one a bit more thought.

I readily acknowledge I strictly use tabs for navigation/UI management - and I am sure there are other uses. So, whether as new widgets or as part of responsive layout features, slider/dividers so that user can change the width or height of divisions (panes) on the screen AND something like the Tab Panel button so that the user can switch views (panes) by having the button show the pane (group) matching the tab button and hide the others (an ACTION? or just Properties?)

Within panes (groups) (or DIVs) (or whatever) different apps will have widely different collections of UI elements, but I think the slider/dividers and tab panels are core UI components for any but the most simplest low code/no code apps.

For the record, I don’t care a lot what these elements look like. I’ve never been a UI designer or someone who strictly adheres to OS vendors UI bibles.