Hello, this is Thomas Seewald from Dresden, Germany

I have been working with Livecode for many years, but only to make my own life easier.
Every now and then I learn another programming language and unfortunately forget how it works again because I don’t use it.

However, I do need Javascript quite often, mostly in connection with the browser widget in a desktop app.

Just for interest, I’ve been looking into Livecode-HTML5 and feel compelled to use Javascript a lot more here.
I see the danger of slipping away and doing virtually everything in javascript.

AI I use frequently and am happy to “collaborate” with my colleague.
I was happy about the internet because I no longer had to wait until information was available in book form.
However, even with the Internet, I still need a lot of time when doing research. ChatGPT really helps me a lot especially with programming.
I always refer to myself as a thinker and strategist who programs because I have had the experience:
if you explain well what a program should do, then you have almost written it.
Besides, one programmer alone is as efficient as 3-5 prtographers who have to coordinate.
The disadvantage, I do not document. I am amazed myself that I can still understand and update really extensive programs over years without using them.
However, with the support of an AI, I would have my programs “explained” to me continuously and then incorporate that into documentation. Of course, I would also take advice.

I am a little worried about livecode.
As mentioned, I feel forced by Livecode-HTML5 to use more and more javascript, to learn more and more things I don’t really want to learn.
My productivity is going down.
Livecode-Create is a completely new work environment and I see so much “trouble” coming for me and Livecode …
“never change a running system (dramatically)” unless you have to.
This is true for me, as well as for …

Google can already translate human instructions into program code - program properly - unlike ChatGPT still does.
But the result is then very cryptic to read be it Javascript, Phyton or anything else.
With javascript I understand why everything was designed to be very character efficient. But when I look at transpilers like Typescript and the many others, I don’t understand why.
https://medium.com/@ZombieCodeKill/the-a-z-of-javascript-transpilers-2d3d556fa627
And especially the frameworks with their own languages that somehow become javascript

make me ask the question:
Wouldn’t it be good to have a metalanguage that can be read and understood in longhand - like livecode?

I sometimes think about downloading an open source language model and training it to convert javascript to livecode and vice versa. Then in the future I’ll look for program code for javascript and make livecode out of it - as long as I don’t have to use a GUI.

That’s one of the shortcomings after all, there is so little copy&paste code for livecode.
And with the great built-in libraries like oAuth2, you fail because there are no pre-built examples.

With Livecode Create is also promised a new great documentatuion - I vaguely remember - that would be necessary and step by step.

I get annoyed when I see tools that I can’t use like the browser widget, YouTube player widget etc.

Or is the point to let test if you can push the widget to the canvas?

Nonetheless - I love Livecode, the team and look forward to AI.
More later

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)
SeewaldThomas