Funky card or not card or is everything now a stack? Cards misbehaving

Hi all,
using browser version of LCC on Safari/Sequoia.

As a recent post stated, importing old projects recognises cards in the project browser, but “layouts” seem to equate to stacks.

To test this, I created a button on a layout to create a new card.
This creates a new card (which is only apparent because the button disappears).
However this new card does not appear in the project browser (as opposed to importing Classic stacks).

The only way to navigate is using the messageBox.

Cards and stacks are an essential part of LiveCode as they were in HC and MC, and they are loved for a reason. They just work.

I am hoping the intent is to bring in card management properly but if they don’t show in the project browser that will be a problem…

Stam

Yes, please bring back cards. Or make layouts cards and the app itself the stack.

With the current layout (stack) model, I have questions on how to implement global variables, constants and hierarchical functions and custom command handlers. It doesn’t make sense to me to have multiple stacks as the only method of building a multi-screen app.

I suppose the work around is to create your app structure in Livecode Classic (e.g. a stack and multiple cards) then import it to Livecode Create. Seems a bit clunky though.

It’s weird because cards actually do exist in LCC.
You can make new cards, navigate them and delete them in script. And they behave like cards.

They just don’t show up in the project browser… I wonder if that’s a bug?

Interesting. I’ll give that a try.

Hi Stam,

Thanks for the post! With Create we’re moving away from Stacks and Cards and replacing them with layouts. We will still support projects with multiple cards within a stack and are still discussing how this will be implemented within the project browser etc.

We may change it so that in the project browser a stack with multiple cards appears as a stack rather than a layout. In future it likely won’t be possible to create cards in script on a layout too. This is all still in discussion though so keep an eye out for future updates!

Thank you for taking the time to help us improve LiveCode Create!